Re: [ga] IP3: "ICANN Reform: Establishing the Rule of Law"

  • To: ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] IP3: "ICANN Reform: Establishing the Rule of Law"
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 15:21:44 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:This just tickles me so much I keep rereading it. "limits" the power of all stakeholders?
"predictable" decision making? "efficient" decision making? Replace "politicized" processes?

That sure sounds like a perfect description of a fascist dictator to me.

Don't get me wrong my doctorate is in law and i truly believe that as Lincoln said "obedience of the law is the greatest freedom" and that rule by law is superior to rule by men. But this requires the consent and participation of the governed. Everything mentioned within the abstract simply shows WSIS wants to take the power from ICANN and keep it for themselves, which begs the question who shall the new cabal appoint or annoint King?

Hans Klein <hans.klein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>  At WSIS governments
need to create and enforce a legally-defined framework
that limits the power of all stakeholders -- including
governments themselves. By establishing the rule of law,
the politicized processes of ICANN can be replaced by
more predictable, fair, and efficient decision-making.

Author: Hans Klein, Associate Professor of Public Policy
Georgia Institute of Technology

Available at: www.IP3.gatech.edu