Re: [ga] [Fwd: Clarification of statement made in press]

  • To: Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] [Fwd: Clarification of statement made in press]
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 23:56:29 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Richard and all former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,

It is very clear that ICANN was more interested in getting a bigger piece
of the pie than anything else.  It is also clear that bidding for TLD's doesn't
work given the experience for new gTLD's and sT:D's that has already
taken place i.e. .BIZ and .INFO, ect., ect.  ICANN's relationship with
it's own registries and especially registrars has been poor to terrible
for some time.  It is also clear that ICANN cannot please everyone
all the time either, which should be expected.  But what is more
important is that registrants//stakeholders/users are getting the
shaft, and they all know it. So does ICANN itself.  But hay,
as long as they get a little more money and can dictate fees they
really could care less about registrants/stakeholders/users, and only
a little bit about Registries and registrars.

Richard Henderson wrote:

> Haven't Paul and the ICANN team proceeded with the .dotcom agreement because
> that's what they've decided they wanted to do?
>
> What has bottom-up got to do with it, apart from window dressing?
>
> Shouldn't we just leave poor Paul in peace and not bother with consultation
> at all?
>
> ...but seriously, wouldn't it have been better to take open bids to see
> which potential companies would have been prepared to *reduce* the cost of
> these number-strings (domain names), rather than increase the cost annually.
>
> What the hell's the point of raising prices when other people would probably
> be willing to provide the same service and *reduce* the prices?
>
> yrs,
>
> Richard Henderson

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827