Re: [ga] .com, and possible "material breach" of the contract

Where do you get that 2/3 of the money they receive has to be in the form of
donations? Some nonprofits are completely funded by the government. Some are
fee-based services such as social service orgs that use a sliding scale
based on income format. Others make marketing partnerships with for profit
entities, etc. etc.

I run a charity, Jeff, and the IRS has never stated any regulation similar
to your 2/3 rule. How I spend the money that IS received is very regulated,
but how I get the funds, as long as it is through legal means, has no
regulation I am aware of. Only in the instance of UBI (Unrelated Business
Income) is it covered at all. That means if I run a missing children
organization, but also charge people for parking in my parking lot, the org
has to pay taxes on the parking lot income, because it is "unrelated" to
finding missing children.

ICANN receiving fees related to domain names is not UBI, so they would not
be taxed for it. Please point me to any website or any IRS code that
mentions 2/3 of their money must come from donations.

PS: What in my post makes you think I forgot about Registrants? Last time I
checked, most registrants are users of the Internet. So if I include all
users, that must inevitably include users who have registered a domain name.
What I hoped for in my post was some advice from someone who actually HAS
legal knowledge in the area of taxation and civil liability. Maybe you
missed that part.

Chris McElroy, President,
Kidsearch Network
http://www.KidsearchNetwork.org