Re: [ga] .com, and possible "material breach" of the contract

  • To: "General Assembly of the DNSO" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] .com, and possible "material breach" of the contract
  • From: "Richard Henderson" <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 14:40:33 +0100
  • Cc: "Jeff Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "George Kirikos" <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What concerns me (among other things) is that this 'taxation' is not
accompanied by representation on behalf of the people being taxed.

It is abundantly clear that ICANN has excluded ordinary internet users from
meaningful representation in its processes. Even its supposed body for
individual internet users (ALAC) bans the membership of... individuals!

Prior to that, ICANN's motives and intentions were transparent when it
expelled the elected representatives of the At Large movement from its Board
Room.

Taxation without representation is more like the start of tyranny. Hence
Verisign's newly-acquired powers to raise costs to registrants on an annual
basis have been granted without reference to the people who will actually be
footing the bill.

ICANN's craven surrender to vested interests, and its rejection of bottom-up
democracy, are profoundly disturbing.

Yrs,

Richard Henderson