Re: [ga] ALAC Self-Review

Danny Younger ha scritto:
I call to your attention the following assessment of
the ALAC that has emerged from the WSIS process:

"Recognizing that the ICANN At-Large Advisory
Committee (ALAC) is an inadequate attempt to give
representation to the relatively unorganized
constituency of users, this should be remedied in the
very near term."
http://www.itu.int/wsis/docs2/pc3/contributions/sca/SouthCentre-23.doc

To be fair, that assessment comes from just one of the many comments that were submitted by individual groups during the process. Generally speaking, you may want to review the assessments in the WGIG Report and Background Report as a source of opinions that, at least, were agreed among a group of varied people representing many stakeholders.

As the ALAC continues to be not much more than a very
pale version of Non-Commercial Constituency, have you
at all considered the possibility of merging with
NCUC?

Sure. This has been among the subjects of discussion of our (now usual) joint meeting with the NCUC, both in Cape Town and in Mar del Plata, as I remember. It seems to me that both constituencies consider more useful to the cause of non commercial and individual users of the Internet to continue cooperating in their different roles, so that we can act together on two fronts.

I believe that the At-Large can find a better avenue
for representation within the ICANN process through
recourse to a General Assembly approach (similar to
that which was available under the old DNSO).

When can we expect your self-review to become public?

We haven't discussed the matter yet, but we plan to finalize the review by the Vancouver meeting, if possible. If you will be there, we may discuss this in person.