Re: [ga] Is it true?

Richard Henderson wrote:

What compelling reason can anyone at ICANN offer for insisting that a registrant's home address, phone number etc should be made available to the rest of the world?

Richard et al.,

Well, at ICANN Montreal I had a chat with an IP lawyer from the UK who maintained that it made her job easier and I agreed... I further observed to her that it allowed her to maximize profit by providing her with *free* access to what really should be privileged information. Of course, she didn't like that part...

Now, if I were a registrar looking for another revenue stream, I would be lobbying to make WHOIS information restricted so that I could sell WHOIS queries to IP lawyers and others... So, whatever happens, I won't be surprised by anything at this point. (sigh)

Sincerely,

Sotiris

--
This email includes a valid digital signature which positively distinguishes the sender and serves to ensure that the message has not been altered since it was sent. For more information on having your identity validated for use in your own Personal Certificate visit the THAWTE Web of Trust (WOT): https://www.thawte.com/wot/index.html

This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized. If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.
begin:vcard
fn:Sotiris Sotiropoulos
n:Sotiropoulos;Sotiris
email;internet:sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx