Re: [ga] Thankyou for doing nothing

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Thankyou for doing nothing
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 00:04:51 -0800
  • Cc: GA <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ALAC <committee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eric and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

  I would agree leaving well enough alone is usually a good practice.
However all is not well enough with ICANN.  Hence having leaders
who do nothing or the wrong thing is not good enough.  When this
atmosphere or situation exists, is recognized, and has solutions not
provided or proposed by the existing leadership, it is time for new
more aggressive and useful leadership.

  So, it is time for the current ALAC and ICANN leadership to
depart and/or resign with all due haste, so a chance for new and
better leadership can repair the damage, and move forward in
a constructive, open and transparent direction where complacency
is not tolerated so the needs and desires of the many will serve
all.

Hugh Dierker wrote:

> [...]
> in the province of Gilan and has run a social and political weblog for
> the past three years.  His weblog has from time to time dealt with
> human rights issues and criticized government policies.  For example,
> in August 2004 he posted an article about a demonstration in Tehran by
> families of victims of mass executions that took place in 1999.  He
> was imprisoned for a few days after posting this story.  At the time
> of his arrest he had been protesting the harassment, detention and
> mistreatment of more than 20 journalists and webloggers in Iran in
> recent months.
>
>      We regard Mr. Sigarchi's arrest to be a violation of his right to
> free speech.  According to the 1998 UN Declaration on Human Rights
> Defenders, all persons have the right "freely to publish, impart or
> disseminate to others views, information and knowledge on all human
> rights and fundamental freedoms."  The important work of Iranian human
> rights defenders should be recognized by the government and they
> should be supported rather than persecuted for their activities.
>
>      While Mr. Sigarchi remains in detention, we strongly urge you to
> ensure that his conditions of detention meet basic international
> standards.  International human rights law requires that all persons
> held in detention are treated with humanity and dignity and that they
> are not subjected to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment.  The
> Iranian government should ensure the application of the UN Standard
> Minimum Rules for the Treatment of Prisoners and the UN Body of
> Principles for the Protection of all Persons Under Any Form of
> Detention or Imprisonment, which further elaborate the basic standards
> to be achieved in ensuring respect for the rights of detainees.
>
>   We also strongly recomend that
> you release Mr. Sigarchi very soon
> or our members with whatever resources we have or can acquire,
> will be seeking to purswade our
> governments to take swift, decisive
> and direct action regarding your
> countries escalating nucular
> development and support of terrorist organizations and groups,
> that will make the "Shock and awe"
> of Bagdad look like a childerens
> fire works display.
>
>      We will continue to monitor this case closely.  Thank you for
> your attention to this most serious matter.
>
> Regretful regards,
>
> Jeffrey A. Williams
> Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 134k members/stakeholders strong!)
>
> "Be precise in the use of words and expect precision from others" -
>     Pierre Abelard
>
> "If the probability be called P; the injury, L; and the burden, B;
> liability depends upon whether B is less than L multiplied by
> P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
> United States v. Carroll Towing  (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir. 1947]
> Updated 1/26/04
> CSO/DIR. Internet Network Eng. SR. Eng. Network data security
> IDNS. div. of Information Network Eng.  INEG. INC.

    Pierre Abelard