Re: [ga] Milton Mueller on ICANN Reform at WSIS Prepcom 2

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Milton Mueller on ICANN Reform at WSIS Prepcom 2
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 22:47:06 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Milton Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

  Some of what Milton is suggesting and/or recommending here our members

agree with and have stated so on a number of occasions.  In particular
the
unstacking or the flawed constituency deck with respect to collapsing
the
business users constituency with the intellectual property constituency.

  However what Milton "Seems" to be suggesting with respect to
stakeholders/users is not expectable under the GNSO flawed
structure.  The ALAC is a closed and non transparent structure
as well and is not open to any and all interested parties and/or
stakeholders/users.  Hence leaving it a a "Club" and not a structure
representative of ANY interested stakeholders/user.

Danny Younger wrote:

>   Excerpt:
>
> Another solution is to reform ICANN?s internal structure, to make it
> more accountable to its own stakeholder groups and less
> self-selecting. Bring back elected members of the Board. Revive the At
> Large not as a multilayered bureaucracy that puts impossible demands
> on the time and energy of volunteers with small stakes in the
> management of domains and addresses, but as a membership right that
> any individual can exercise when it is important to them.
>
> This is how the At Large was originally conceived. If there were
> problems with the first round of elections, fix them. Also reform the
> representational structure of the GNSO ? make it more balanced. One
> simple and easy way to do that is to permit At Large representatives
> to vote on the GNSO Council. Another reform is to collapse the
> business users constituency with the intellectual property
> constituency, since trademark owners are simply a subset of business
> users.
>
> http://dcc.syr.edu/miscarticles/MM-Prepcom2.pdf

    Pierre Abelard

E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx