Re: [ga] Nominet UK's response to ICANN's Strategic Plan

  • To: Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Nominet UK's response to ICANN's Strategic Plan
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 06:28:24 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Richard and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

  Nominets' argument against it's portion of funding to the GNSO/ICANN
has allot to do with how large the budgets have been and are projected
to be.  gTLD's are no more or less private enterprise than is any ccTLD.

What Nominet is wanting is a much lower GNSO/ICANN cost due
to waste and mismanagement and is only using gTLD's as an excuse.

It has been and remains our members position that any and all openly
introduced TLD's should be self supporteda/funded and be not
for profit registries.  sTLD [ Sponsored TLD's is a relatively
new concept that had promise...  However the process errors
and subsequent decisions/judgments made as and introduced
as policies that had no actual stakeholder/user support that
could be measured, is bound to fail and most of these new
sTLD's have failed miserably on several levels...

   Additionally ICANN is supposed to be a non-profit organization
under US law and as such 66% of all income is supposed to come
from donations.  This has not been the case.. And hence, leaving
many ccTLD registry operators with a bad taste in your mouth,
Nominet not withstanding...

    Pierre Abelard

E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS