Re: [ga] VeriSign to auction deleting domains!

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] VeriSign to auction deleting domains!
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 23:53:18 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eric and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

 Glad to see that I and our members were not the only ones to see only
one of several problems with this bad idea of auctioning off domain
names that are expired or about to expire due to TM considerations
which also was a bad idea as I have pointed out more than 2 years ago...

Hugh Dierker wrote:

>    I like this scenario;
>
> xyz co. registers xyz.com and builds a large company. Spends millions
> of Euro dollars on branding. Trademarks their name. Builds the best
> quality widgets and is loved worldwide for their product. They spend
> another million on web marketing and a site. They are going great guns
> and living the free enterprize dream.
>
> Their register.com name expires, Verisign auctions it and somebody
> pays big yen for it and then plays 7 figure holdup blackmail with the
> xyz co. with it.
>
> Now who has the most legal liability for cybersquatting? Oops I just
> read the registrars and the registries "terms & conditions". I just
> read the public third party beneficiary contracts with ICANN.
>
> I never bought oceanfront property in Arizona, but if Verisign, ICANN
> and the DoC endorsed it I would. What could be a more safe investment?
>
> It would seem that a smart lawyer would support this concept through
> surreptitious means, then open an office in between MDR and Mountain
> View and then send out letters to whoever bids on a name or has a name
> expiring or would like to start today.
>
> Another smart lawyer would go to Verisign today, and ink out a
> retainer agreement to defend all the lawsuits on a reasonable hourly
> rate.
>
> Clearly auctioning off names is a great Idea for somebody.
>
> Eric

    Pierre Abelard

E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS