Re: [ga] Letter to the ALAC

  • To: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Letter to the ALAC
  • From: "Richard Henderson" <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 03:07:24 -0000
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ICANN is like a black hole, which sucks people into its methodology.

ALAC is a "mock" At Large, largely dealing with non-democratic organisations, and completely rejecting the concept of a membership of equal individuals. To suggest that these few, selected organisations should "represent" the rank and file ordinary internet users is to miss the point altogether.

There has already been a workable methodology based on individual subscription and one person one vote, on the basis of which the previous (and democratically elected) At Large directors were chosen - by individuals themselves - to represent them.

The whole problem for ICANN was that it did not like the free-thinking individuals who the public chose. So they expelled them.

To entrust the At Large movement to ALAC is to accede to ICANN's agenda... namely, to pay lipservice to individual users but in effect to lock them out. Otherwise, why not just revert to accepting At Large membership on an individual basis (with no mandatory 15 days attendance at ICANN meetings as a prerequisite of membership!).

Danny writes: "It all begins with a conscious effort to collaborate"... I'm afraid I do not believe that individual internet users actually want to collaborate with ALAC because they are denied membership and participation. They do not want to collaborate because they know that ALAC is a top-down creation of ICANN, set up by Denise Michel, without any individual user mandate.

"We have available to us now a methodology for elections by way of local organizations that can serve as an alternative to the type of elections previously held." That is exactly what ICANN wants, but in most democracies we do not vote via delegates for appointees already selected from the top. In most democracies the principle of one person one vote is widely respected.

The type of elections previously held worked. They resulted in popularly-elected representatives.

Their expulsion by the ICANN clique was indefensible.

Individual internet users do not want to be sucked into ICANN's methodology.

They seek their right to elect their own nominees (not from within selected organisations) and they seek to influence and determine for themselves the future direction of their internet - because fundamentally the Internet is used by them, developed by them, and needed by them.

I totally disagree with Danny on this one!

ICANN is a black hole.

ALAC is craven and unrepresentative.

Let Individual Internet Users organise themselves, by opening membership of a recognised At Large to ALL individuals (and NO organisations!), and allowing those individual members to make their own decisions about who will represent them and how they will relate to the ICANN politburo.

Yrs,

Richard Henderson