Re: [ga] Making ALAC impossible for ordinary users to join

Joop and all former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,

  Joop still doesn't seem to get it.  The ALAC is supposed to be about
membership of any and all stakeholders/users.  But it simply isn't.  Therefore
it cannot truthfully claim to represent even a tiny fraction of the
stakeholders/users
or refer to itself as an "At-Large" in accordance with the White Paper and the
MoU.  So it is in fact and by purposeful design in no way a representative
of stakeholders/users.

Joop Teernstra wrote:

> At 09:24 a.m. 9/01/2005, Sotiris wrote:
>
> >Richard Henderson wrote:
> ><snip>
> >>
> >>The proposals being posted by Vittorio are, in my opinion, a further
> >>wrong turning. By making new membership to ALAC even more difficult now
> >>than it was originally... by making 15 days physical attendance at ICANN
> >>meetings around the world a mandatory requirement for membership of
> >>ALAC... these unelected "spokespeople" for the At Large are in effect
> >>perpetuating the "locking out" of so many people who might otherwise
> >>contribute to any remaining 'authority' ICANN tries to claim for
> >>retaining the role it plays.
> >
> >Which is probably why all the ALAC "structures" to-date are organizations
> >run by the selfsame ALAC Committee members... you see, Vittorio's (as well
> >as the rest of the Committee's) travel costs are paid by ICANN, to the
> >tune of $2500 USD per Committee member per meeting.
>
> Even if  Vittorio and Thomas'  direct out-of-pocket costs are met, they are
> still volunteering all their  time for free.
>
> For both transparency's and fairnesss' sake I would favour the ALAC
> players  to be salaried by ICANN for their time as well,
> (although as an icanntax payer I would keep insisting to have my
> representatives on the Board to have a say in the budget.)
>
> Perhaps the appointment of former ccTLD-rebel and at-large supporter Peter
> Dengate-Thrush on the ICANN Board will bring us changing times in this respect.
> He knows the cost involved with ICANN-volunteering.
>
> (Please respond Peter, if you are still reading this list!)
>
> If ICANN accepts an At Large representational structure, it will not only
> have to make the political decision, but will have to budget for it as well.
>
> The times of having self-financed gentlemen-volunteers in Parliaments are
> long past.
>
> --Joop--
>
> www.icannatlarge.com

    Pierre Abelard