Re: [ga] Phantom Registrars

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Phantom Registrars
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 21:17:02 -0800
  • Cc: Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eric and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

  I and many of our members as well as several members of this forum and

the now long defunct DNSO had made ask, agree that a few of the
very simple questions you pose yet again remain unanswered.  They
need answering as well as actually addressed effectively by ICANN.
Our members have and had answers from their perspective.  I will
again provide those answers inline with your questions below.

Hugh Dierker wrote:

>    I think this is one of those reality check situations. It is easy
> to get sidetracked on small seeming inconsitencies. Assuming no
> warehousing of expired domain names, this system seems to have evolved
> in the open and unfettered marketplace using competition as the
> guideposts toward progress. Efficiency, speed, reliability, costs
> appear to be the driving forces. ICANN seems to be a coordinating body
> here without much else.
> So I have questions here;
>
> Is ICANN getting a big enough cut for their services?

Yes!  In fact, far too big of a cut for little or no actual services
rendered.

> Is ICANN providing what it should to these registrars?

No.  Guidance itself is not only not adequate, but ICANN is
lacking in providing adequate or effective guidance as well.

> Are already in place legal remedies adequate to police chicanery?

No not yet.  But some have been put into place. None of which
address the "Phantom Registrars" issue, however...

> Does the system work for the consumer?

  No.

> Eric

    Pierre Abelard