Re: [ga] Out-of-Control

  • To: Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Out-of-Control
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 21:32:19 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Don Evans <DEvans@xxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Richard and all former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,

  ICANN cannot even enforce it's own bylaws upon itself adequately
lest it chooses as it has in the past, to amend it's bylaws retroactively
in order to legitimize its own errors in the violating of those bylaws.
How than, can one reasonably expect ICANN to enforce such a
contract as you suggest towards registrars?

  No what is needed  is a independent oversight group which is made
up of domain name holders and users that has the mandate by
DOC/NTIA to develop and enforce a set of regulations that
the registrars can be held accountable to.  The biggest problem
with this approach is how does one enforce such regulations or
rules upon a registrar that is not a US based company?  One
potential way is to amend the trade agreements in existence
that covers this contingency...  Those countries whom refuse
to adapt such amendments, should be sanctioned by the USTR
in a strong and effective manner without delay..  One way to
impose such sanctions might be to confiscate the financial
assets said country has in the US or in the US's governments
control until or unless those registrars outside the US have come
back into compliance.  If no such financial assets exist, than
the registrars physical assets should be confiscated as well
as their registrar contract canceled immediately.