Re: [ga] The Domain of Language

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] The Domain of Language
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 18:15:11 -0700
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eric and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/uesrs,

  Of course we have all heard this from Danny Younger many, many times
before.
And to a degree is is right, IOHO.  However this can best be achieved
with
the implementation of multiple root structures so as to segment
countries,
such as China has already done, language specific domain names of their
own choosing.  However as ICANN has nixed that idea out of hand for
reasons that to this day remain of questionable validity.

Hugh Dierker wrote:

>    I have been mulling over this article by Younger since I have been
> in the only Asian Language Country using the "Western" aphabet;
> http://www.circleid.com/article/772_0_1_0_C/
>
> I understand the integrity of languages and their need to survive in
> order that subcultures survive. And I cannot think of a duller world
> than one with one language, OTOH Asean and Asem both uses one language
> and the huge Asia-Eruo summit just concluded here in Hanoi used
> English. Does internationalizing a language protect the people or
> further isolate them? Should tradition or nutrition and health come
> first?
>
> Perhaps, food for thought.
> Eric

    Pierre Abelard