[ga] The Domain of Language

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] The Domain of Language
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 05:46:07 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have been mulling over this article by Younger since I have been in the only Asian Language Country using the "Western" aphabet;
http://www.circleid.com/article/772_0_1_0_C/

I understand the integrity of languages and their need to survive in order that subcultures survive. And I cannot think of a duller world than one with one language, OTOH Asean and Asem both uses one language and the huge Asia-Eruo summit just concluded here in Hanoi used English. Does internationalizing a language protect the people or further isolate them? Should tradition or nutrition and health come first?

Perhaps, food for thought.
Eric