[ga] Re: [Politech] Michael Geist critiques Canadian copyright law proposal [ip]

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Re: [Politech] Michael Geist critiques Canadian copyright law proposal [ip]
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 21:49:10 -0700
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, declan@xxxxxxxx, mgeist@xxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eric and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

  Given that the ICANN IP constituency and business constituency as
a questionably representative part of the GNSO structure, extra legal
and therefor poor TM and patent regulations have been put forward
and some excepted, have created a mess that will take years to
clean up.

Hugh Dierker wrote:

>    This is good as far as it goes.  The problem is that it does not go
> far enough. A step back in time and we see the pre-industrial
> revolution reasoning for trademark, copyright and patent laws.  It was
> to give enough security to provide economic motivation for creators in
> order to foster ingenuity. I do not see that as occuring today.  While
> large Pharmeceuticals and IT firms should be sowewhat protected in
> order to get stockholders to invest in r&r this race to the land
> office mentality and process should stop.
> A full revamping of the system must come about for the benefit of the
> consumer and to reinvigorate creativity and invention on an individual
> basis.
> With war chests for lawyers and lobbying campaigns creativity for
> profit is futile for the individual against the megacorps. It is an
> average of $50,000USD to defend a cybersquatting suit.
> Ingenuity is lost in favor of balance sheet certainty for those that
> file first.
> With regards educational copyright infringment, that is laughable.
> What Idiot would defend his rights to his detriment. Teach from a
> writers' text to a generation of students and that writer becomes
> popular and prospers. I was introduced to Edward Abby in college and
> later bought and read all his books. I don't recall excerpts from
> Hemmingway being objected to in English classes. And yet I bought and
> read all his writings.
>
> As for trademarks and Patent quality, the only group harmed by this
> are makers of superior products and mankind is not so stupid. While
> visiting a market in a heretofor notorious pirating country one sales
> boy in a market place had fake "Ralph Lauren" shirts for sale but was
> so proud to show me his real one. We all know the difference in
> quality and immitation should be considered flattery.
>
> Trying as courts may to fit a dinosaur into a hybred cattle ranch just
> does not work. The Intellectual property laws are antiquated and
> feeble to todays market place. A far superior document called our
> constitutions should take precedence.
>
> Sincerely,
> Eric
>
> Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Declan, Michael and all,
>
> Well done here Michael! I could not agree more.
>
> Declan McCullagh wrote:

    Pierre Abelard