Re: [ga] Governance issues. what the arab world hears when Bush speaks

  • To: Ibelimited1@xxxxxxx, jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Governance issues. what the arab world hears when Bush speaks
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 05:05:48 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I believe I see your point here.
However let us remember a few things politik first.
The Author and Newspaper refered to here are
notoriously Democrat oriented. Also op ed pieces by
editors, when reporting should be reporting news and
not making it, are quite suspicious.
With that said let us get to the meat of how I think
this is truly relevant to ICANN. An "interim" board
was forced down unknowing and ignorant users at the
time of conception. That is Ok. It takes time. But
that board should never ever ever be given any power
whatsoever to delay, rephrase or amend the set in
stone method of creating a truly representative
governance through democratic elections. They should
simply be interim stewards and held to the standard of
trustee for the stakeholders. If the same "whatever
you - the interim board - want to do attitude is given
to governance in Iraq as it was with ICANN we are in
for one hell of a mess. It is a human frailty to want
to maintain power once it is obtained. If that power
is definite in scope and limited in duration and is
one created through rule of law and not men, then
history has shown that it works. Patience and
Vigilance seem at odds but it is the patiently
vigilant that will win in the long run.
Eric

_http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article.asp?edition_id=10&categ_id=5&article_id=4

(http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article.asp?edition_id=10&categ_id=5&article_id=4670)