Re: [ga] RFC 3774 on IETF Problem Statement

  • To: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] RFC 3774 on IETF Problem Statement
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 20:54:45 -0700
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Stephane and all former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,

  I recognize you have now and have had a dislike and vendetta towards myself.
However I have all of my adult life and even most of my years before adulthood,
known not all peoples of the world, speak english of understand english at
any level, especially in France, which is a bit surprising for obvious reasons..

  Hence your disparaging remark in this direction is inconsistent with reality
and not in accordance with anything I have said regarding language recognition
of understanding.  Hence you are portraying a falsehood..  Bad form Stephane,
especially from a citizen of France...

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> RFC 3774
> Title:      IETF Problem Statement
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3774.txt
>
> A very good document about a governance issue for the IETF. True, IETF has a lot of problems but how many organizations are willing to do such an auto-analysis? Not ICANN, for sure :-)
>
> Most organizations prefer to repeat reassuring statements like RIPE-NCC mantras "We are the community and therefore we cannot be wrong".
>
> A few sentences from the RFC to give you an idea (the last one being for people like Jeff W. who still did not catch that not everybody on Earth speaks english):
>
> o  The IETF is unsure who its stakeholders are.  Consequently,
>       certain groups of stakeholder, who could otherwise provide
>       important input to the process, have been more or less sidelined
>       because it has seemed to these stakeholders that the organization
>       does not give due weight to their input.

>  For an organization with 'engineering' in its title and participants
>    who are likely to trot out the statement "Trust me, I'm an engineer!"
>    when confronted with the need to find a solution to a particularly
>    knotty problem, the IETF has, at least in some cases, extremely
>    ineffective engineering practices.

> Thus, the IETF appeared to have created an affinity
>    group system which tended to re-select the same leaders from a
>    limited pool of people who had proved competent and committed in the
>    past.
>
>    Members of this affinity group tend to talk more freely to each other
>    and former members of the affinity group - this may be because the
>    affinity group has also come to share a cultural outlook which
>    matches the dominant cultural ethos of the IETF (North American,
>    English speaking).  Newcomers to the organization and others outside
>    the affinity group are reluctant to challenge the apparent authority
>    of the extended affinity group during debates and consequently
>    influence remains concentrated in a relatively small group of people.

    Pierre Abelard

E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827