Re: [ga] i.e.

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>, Don Evans <DEvans@xxxxxxx>, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] i.e.
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:00:36 -0700
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Eric and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

Hugh Dierker wrote:

>   http://www.circleid.com/article/566_0_1_0_C/
>
> Just as i.e.s, weren't dotTV and dotLA really hot for a while.  I
> liked the AU and CA transformations. I.e. dotBZ.  I.e. dotWS?
>
> Exemplar is a very tough word.  This concept of i.e. or ie or i e has
> been around for as long as England.  But the best my study tells me is
> that it has a brutal Greek/Latin twist.
> When you see it you know it means roughly; "for example". Funny but in
> my ill formative years everyone knew it meant "Ignorant Eric".  I
> distinctly remember at least three great men walking around over the
> past couple of thousand years using i.e.s, what we have come to call
> parables or metaphors. How about "drop the Y and add ie".  Now as a
> student I see the great potential for "drop the why and add .ie" or
> "an example to be followed, dotIE".
> Restricted ccTLDs are a strange bird.  Old Le Blanc told me they were
> the "China model" or I interpreted that to mean the "China Syndrome".
> My birth father (a "black Irishman") once said to be careful of the
> "green hills boy" I thought he meant the mountains of his home in the
> Emerald Isle, but now I know he meant the lure of money.
> Will national integrity and security rule the day for ie, or will the
> instant green bring snakes back to the land of St. Patrick?

  Good response here Eric.  Also good insight IMHO it would seem that
ICANN's BoD and Sr. staff have yet again under the radar of public
knowledge despite the DOC/NTIA's insistence of more a better openness,
has been very busy yet again trying to get ccTLD's out of the hands
of governments fearing national regulation.  This article shows clearly
that, so called commercial entities wish to use government's names and
authority to set policy for .IE in this instance much like the ICANN
BoD and staff attempted to do with ..PH and other ccTLD's...  I hope
that he citizens of Ireland will see clearly and through this almost
cleaver attempt at taking the citizens and sakeholders of .IE now and
in the future of what COMREG,  http://www.comreg.ie  is attempting
to do...

  I know I will along with our many and growing Irish members of
IENGroup be sure that as many of the Irish stakeholders and
future stakeholders are as fully aware of the consequences
of such a decision...

    Pierre Abelard

E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS