Re: [ga] United Nations wants a big piece of the Internet... ICANN's death rattle?...

Karl and all former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> I was at the UN gathering and I would not say that either of the
> points in the subject was true.
>
> It was not clear to me that the UN, as a body, wants the internet
> government job or headache, nor is it clear that there is any sort of
> feeling, that ICANN should be dismantled, restructured, or retained.  My
> own sense is that the music is just starting for a dance of glaciers -
> slow, irressistable, unpredicatable, and woe to the non-glacier who gets
> stuck in the middle.

 As has been noticed historically, it is not clear what the UN wants or
doesn't want.  It is also an accurate observation that the UN yet
wishes to dismantle ICANN, or ever will.  But the hint as to ICANN's
continued relevance on a "Global Scale" is not considered adequate...

> (As I write this I realize that tonight I'm sitting on an island [Long
> Island, NY] formed by the residue left over after the last southward march
> of continental glaciers.)
>
> The most interesting single thing, at least to my eyes, from the meeting
> was the fact that there occurred a meeting, on physical site of the United
> *Nations* in which nations, corporations, organizations, and even
> individuals discussed issues, face to face, on peer terms.  (I only say
> that the *discussion* was on a peer basis; clearly the decisionmaking
> itself will be by national entities.)

 Thank you for indicating indirectly, the difference between discussion
and decision making at the UN meetings..  Indeed this is how the
UN has frequently operated and still does, which brings into refocus
it often times inability to do timely decisions or good ones...

> The meeting clearly (to me) has, like an earthquake, liquified the
> internet governance landscape.  There is an opportunity now to affect
> change before the situation once again solidifies.

  Good point and advice...

> The commercial
> interests are well prepared to make their points; I am less assured that
> non-commercial interests are as ready, or have the resources, to engage
> fully and effectively.  And I get the impression that during this new
> phase that complaints will be less effective than well formed specific
> plans of solution.

  Well formed solutions, even not workable ones along with complaints
those solutions are well formed to address, instead of only complaints...
This is how it should be of course.  However it is my information that
the UN is not one that takes "Canned/well formed solutions" very
seriously unless the relative committee's within the UN are actively
involved in crafting those solutions...

> During the meeting there was a rhinoceros of an undiscussed issue standing
> in the corner - Globalization.

  Oh yes, and back to the full circle again...

>                 --karl--

    Pierre Abelard

E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS