Re: [ga] United Nations wants a big piece of the Internet. ICANN's death rattle? ISOC's/ITU's rise again to prominance??

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] United Nations wants a big piece of the Internet. ICANN's death rattle? ISOC's/ITU's rise again to prominance??
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 08:25:48 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sometimes I just want to puke over these UN - WIPO types.
All of this is about big business and power grabbing.  Not one place in all of the proceedings are dotcommoners mentioned.  These people are only concerned with lining their own pockets.
The problem is larger than many people think, the speakers from the countries are trying to kiss up with the IP type folks and are destroying their own infrastructures as we speak.
This WTO type mentality is pandemic as those who only look toward an increase of outsourcing to their venues use the nets as a tool for themselves and not the consumers.

Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Background docs:
http://www.un.org/News/ossg/sg/pages/statements.html
http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2004/dsgsm215.doc.htm
http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2004/sgsm9220.doc.htm
http://aragorn.pb.bialystok.pl/~zspinfo/eng/zsp_sae.html
http://www.wpi.edu/Pubs/Faculty/kqs.html

See: http://news.com.com/2100-1028-5179694.html
United Nations ponders Net's future
March 26, 2004
By Declan McCullagh

UNITED NATIONS--The United Nations wants a big piece of the Internet.