[ga] xxx and zoning

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] xxx and zoning
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 08:38:50 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Zoning.  History is full of the notion of putting the "dirty" stuff in a special zone.
The tenements outside the colliseum, Pegale district, Canal Street and it does not end with porn.  Lepper colonies, prisons, Mexico City's dump, China towns from Cholon to SF and the Mauritians in Paris. Perhaps ghettos, and cult retreats and do not forget nudist colonies, and Vegas. If most of the places in Asia did not have special districts you could not find your way to a church, - oh yes, we have church zoning in most of the US. And I suppose it works.
In my little adopted home town we basically zoned AEEs (adult entertainment establishments) into outlying boulevards.  Urban sprawl happened and the land became valuable to developers and the shops got eminant domained and the land rezoned for churches and schools and "residential".  Oh not all was lost, you can still find streets where crack and hookers are there for a slow moving car. The trouble there is that now it is not acknowledged by the establishment and crime permeates the barrios like a wildfire.

Make no mistake, knocking pornsites out of dotcom is akin to taking a womens lingerie shop on mainstreet.  You are going to be taking ones property and you had better make damn sure you have a good due process involved.  And then you also better decide if seeing Janet's teats is worse than excluding books from your public library simply because JFK was in fact doing Marilyn.

It is funny but the xxx is also an integral part of globalization.  The difference between creating a melting pot of all or segregating your culture and spices in order to preserve the unique flavors and tastes. Try Mole', it is good, as is a good chicken curry Cous Cous but I like chocolate and Couscous all by themselves sometimes. Paella may even be a better example.

One needs a carrot and a stick in helping porn find a safe niche.  Someone once said "if you build it they will come".  As gambling seems to have found safe haven venues, perhaps there is a country that has absolutely no prohibition or restrictions on pornography and they could host such a site. Oops that could never happen because the big bad countries that talk so bad about porn make the most revenue off of it.  What was Castro thinking when he closed off the golden spicket known as the Havana Night Life?

Remember, there is no definition of pornography, but, "I know it when I see it". Spam looks like porn to me.

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 09:12:22PM -0800,
Jeff Williams wrote
a message of 32 lines which said:

> Seems to me in the .xxx specific case, depending on how it is
> handled, it would be a good idea to have such a sTLD.

Read RFC 3675 ".sex Considered Dangerous" first.