Re: [ga] LatinoamerICANN publica versión en españolde los Estatutos del ICANN

Kim and all former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,

Kim Davies wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Jeff Williams wrote:
> >
> >   I didn't offer or "Come up" with any "Figure" Kim...
> >
> >   However, I did say the Majority of subscribers were english
> > speakers only due to a survey done some time ago on this
> > forum...
>
> You seem to contradict yourself - you say you have no figure then
> immediately go on to say the "majority" can only speak English.

  That is not a contridiction of any sort.  It exactly correct as I stated
it.

> (You
> said the majority can _only_ speak English before, but maybe you have
> changed your mind now.)

  Not at all.  I said the Majority of subscribers to this forum are english
speakers only.  That is exactly correct and correct as I stated it.  Hence
it would appear you are confused, and also seemingly attempting to
confuse or state the opposite as though I stated it differently.  Ergo
you are confused in the extreme in this instance..  You have my
empathy.

> Anyway, regarding your original comment that is "exceedingly rude" not
> to post in English here:
>
> The post in question was in Spanish. It would take 5 seconds to bring up
> a free online machine translator to convert Spanish into English, and
> give you a reasonable translation that would allow you to understand
> what was said.

  I don't need to I read write and speak spanish quite well.  Other fellow
stakeholders/users and this forums subscribers do not, and should not
be subjected to translating via any means what another poster posted.
Hence in part why it is rude to post in any language on this forum unless
that poster provides a english translation which meets the majority of the
subscribers of this forum.  "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" ...

> This may even give you a small inkling of the frustrations many people
> have participating in the ICANN process. Many have to translate to and
> from English, day in day out, when they want to participate in these forums.

 If they are non-English speakers which it the international excepted language,
and the forum members are in the majority english speakers only, than yes
those that are non-English speakers must do their own translation.

> To me, what is exceedingly rude is boldly asserting everyone must speak
> English.

  I don't insist nor have I ever insisted everyone speak English.  When in
mexico or Spain for instance I speak Spanish only.  That is because the
majority of the people in Mexico and Spain speak spanish only, do not
speak english well, or spanish is their most commonly understood language.

> I think is an arrogant gesture that belittles the effort
> involved for non-English speakers to participate - because you are
> inferring that the most important thing is sparing you the mininal
> effort it would take you translate the very occasional non-English post.

  I should not have to to make a special effort for a special case if
the majority of the subscribers of a Email forum are english speakers
only.  It is rude in the extreme to knowingly post to a forum where it
is well known by the poster whom posts in other than english to post
in his or her native language without providing a English translation for
the majority of the subscribers of that forum.  This is exactly what
Erick did.  Ergo, he was being rude for some reason that is inconsistent
with good manners and common courtesy to his fellow subscribers.

> ICANN is a global forum, and a great many people interested in ICANN do
> not have English as their first language. You might assume that the
> majority of people interested in the DNS are American, but I would disagree.

  I make no assumption as to whether the majority of those interested in
DNS issues or ICANN as a whole [ Hole? ] are american or any other
nationality.  Nothing in my previous comments or remarks would rationally
indicate such.  Hence I can only surmise you are arguing for the sake of
doing so.  That too is also rude in the extreme...

> With such a minute fraction of posts here in languages other than
> English, I don't see what the problem is when such posts can be easily
> translated or ignored.

  I suppose ignorance is bliss.  However intentional ignorance or ignorance
for a reason of not being multilingual is foolish.  Hence again why Ericks
failure to provide a translation to english for the majority of subscribers
of this forum is even more inconsiderate than usual or expectable.

> kim

Regretful regards,
    Pierre Abelard

E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx