[ga] ICANN Ombudsman??

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] ICANN Ombudsman??
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 23:21:04 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,

I was reading the New York Times article at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/07/international/07CND-DIVI.html?ei=5062&en=1f0ead87b5fce559&ex=1071464400&partner=GOOGLE&pagewanted=print&position=

which stated "Mr. Twomey, reached by cellphone outside the conference
room, said: "At Icann, anybody can attend meetings, appeal decisions or
go to ombudsmen, and here I am outside a U.N. meeting room where
diplomats ? most of whom know little about the technical aspects ? are
deciding in a closed forum how 750 million people should reach the
Internet. I am not amused."

I find it interesting that he said folks can go to an ICANN ombudsman.
According to:

http://www.icann.org/general/jobs.htm

ICANN is still looking for one. And in the minutes of September 9,
2003:

http://www.icann.org/minutes/prelim-report-09sep03.htm

they had hoped to begin recruiting soon.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Did I miss the announcement that one had been
hired?

I'd be curious to know the percentage of "appeals" that overturned a
Board decision, too.

If the Board wasn't making anti-consensus decisions, such as the one
supporting WLS, and wasn't so impotent in allowing SiteFinder abuse to
go on for weeks, while letting VeriSign keep all the money, perhaps
they'd be treated with more respect.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/