Re: [ga] ISC opens Internet crisis center. <-- Did they just forget the BIND fiasco over Site Finder?

  • To: General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ISC opens Internet crisis center. <-- Did they just forget the BIND fiasco over Site Finder?
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 17:41:41 -0700
  • Cc: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@xxxxxx>, Don Evans <DEvans@xxxxxxx>, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Robin Layton <RLayton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, Chuck Gomes <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Paul and all former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,

Paul Vixie wrote:

> i didn't realize that it needed to be said that ISC is not in league
> with ICANN.  we are cautiously optimistic that the current administration
> and board and charter seems to be much better than the previous ones, but
> there is no sense in which ICANN could have had, or actually did have, any
> influence at all over the delegation-only or root-delegation-only patches.

  Humm? Well I did not directly say that ICANN was "In League"
with ISC.  Lets be clear on that important point.  However as
some ISC folks such as yourself Paul, are on one of ICANN
committees for stability of ICANN the reference I made is
none the less relevant.

  However I am glad to here that you are cautiously optimistic
of the current ICANN Administration.  I only wish I could share
that level of optimism given recent events and/or announcements
coming from that same ICANN Administration.

> on another matter.  jeff williams, i have asked you politely several times
> to stop sending me mail, forever, regardless of topic.  at this point i'm
> going to conclude that you are spamming or stalking me, and take action.

  I am neither spaming you or stalking you in any way, only being sure
that you are not back stabbed in any way.  Hence my CC'ing you
on these exchanges on this thread.  So take whatever action you
see fit, but please be honest and not makes such a fuss in a
somewhat less than honest or aboveboard manner in such a
false allegation.  To do so is very unbecoming and unprofessional.

> [...]
> > Site Finder, with name calling.  It's basically a bit immature and
> > I am sure to many beneath contempt to do so.
> >
> >   That unfortunately needing to be said, you Stephany know full
> > well that ISC at ICANN's prodding in one way or another,
> > over reacted to Site Finder, and Verisigns use of Wild Cards.
> > So such SPIN in your response, is not quite good enough to
> > fool anyone with a reasonable ability to sift through this
> > sort of PR Damage control spin...  Nice try, but no cigar,
> > even if they might be the Monica Brand...
> >
> >   Lets also not forget the BINDplus was not effected negatively
> > with Verisign/NSI's use of Wild Cards in the Site Finder
> > service product.  As such it is evident that Legacy BIND
> > 8.x thru 9.x has weaknesses.  So operating in a crisis
> > mode seems to be far less than adequate to provide
> > for good stability in the short term and certainly not
> > over the long haul.
> >
> > And so, the ICANN/ISC approach to problem solving is
> > reactive, not proactive and therefore only propagates
> > it's seemingly never ending disruptive and disgusting
> > saga...
> >
> > Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> >
> > > On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 06:35:38PM -0700,
> > >  Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote

> > > [Not speaking for ISC, of course, but <disclaimer>AFNIC is a member of
> > > the BIND forum</disclaimer>.]
> > >
> > > This is absolutely ridiculous. There was no fiasco. ISC, maintainer of
> > > BIND (by far the most widely used software for caching/forwarding name
> > > servers), addressed very quickly a vocal demand from many of its
> > > users. ISC released a new version of BIND, there was a bug, then a new
> > > version, there was also a bug and finally the proper one.
> > >
> > > Do note that the new features in BIND to fix the Verisign problem were
> > > all OFF by default, so it was the responsability of the name server
> > > administrator to turn them on or not.
> > >
> > > There was some technical problems with "funny" cases because the DNS
> > > is a complicated beast, badly specified (dozens of RFC are
> > > authoritative when you write or maintain a DNS software), and there
> > > was a huge pressure from the community so everything was done in a
> > > hurry (remember that Verisign made no prior warning). Other nameserver
> > > software, like PowerDNS, which released similar patches, experienced
> > > the same problems.
> > >
> > > These bugs created a few temporary problems, much less than Verisign's
> > > bold attempt to typosquatt everything in .com/.net.
> > >
> > > Sorry for the long message to correct an obvious troll.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > Jeffrey A. Williams
> > Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 134k members/stakeholders strong!)
> > "Be precise in the use of words and expect precision from others" -
> >     Pierre Abelard
> > CEO/DIR. Internet Network Eng. SR. Eng. Network data security
> > Information Network Eng. Group. INEG. INC.
> > E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801

    Pierre Abelard