Re: [ga] BIND Patches Make Bad Situation Worse - ICANN strikes out addressing site Finder..

  • To: Don Brown <donbrown_l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] BIND Patches Make Bad Situation Worse - ICANN strikes out addressing site Finder..
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 20:49:44 -0700
  • Cc: General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Don Evans <DEvans@xxxxxxx>, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Robin Layton <RLayton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Howard C. Berkowitz" <hcb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Don and all former DNSO GA members or other interested parties,

  Well Don, Site Finder really is irrelevant.  ICANN just appeared
to want to make it relevant so that ICANN could appear as if it
was addressing an actual "Problem" of a technical nature and
seem as though they were "Saving the Peons" from the evil
V$ monster again!  Well as we can now see with these BIND
bad patches, it instead shot itself in the backside with extreme
prejudice!  ROFLMAO!  >:)  Sorry for the laugh, but you have
to appreciate the humor in it all really....  Yet the tragedy still
continues...

  And now today as I predicted, Versign is again going to
re-introduce Site Finder, and sell NSI.  I guess the message
to ICANN is  or should be obvious...  But I am not sure it
will be properly understood by the ICANN BoD and staff.
So I again await the next scene to unfold in this comic tragedy.

Don Brown wrote:

> [...]
>
> Someone once (or several times) said make ICANN irrelevant -- that
> could start now with making SiteFinder irrelevant.
>
> Just a thought, FWIW . . .
>
> Thursday, October 16, 2003, 9:04:51 PM, Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> JW> All former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,
>
> JW>   Well I figured this would happen.  So it seems the
> JW> stability argument from ICANN was more likely a political
> JW> struggle with Verisign rather than a stability issue.
>
> JW> Thank god our BindPlus is still stable as well as
> JW> verisigns own BindPlus...
>
> JW> And so the saga continues....
>
> JW> See:  http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/10/15/1524247
> JW> An anonymous reader writes "After [0] .COM and .NET started using a
> JW> wildcard, the internet community busily started creating patches to
> JW> various pieces of software to circumvent this. It was [1] said
> JW> that this was a grave problem to the internet. Several
> JW> [2]official BIND patches were [3] announced over the next
> JW> few days. However, it turns out they weren't necessarily
> JW> too well thought through. Usage of the patch
> JW> unexpectedly [4] broke at least 7 Top Level Domains,
> JW> ISC announced 3 weeks later, after users [5] started
> JW> having problems. The [6].NAME registry has sent
> JW> [7]a formal letter to ICANN's [8]Security and
> JW> Stability Advisory Comittee to warn against using
> JW> the BIND patch, which they will look into in their
> JW> next meeting. The intention may have been good,
> JW> but... Stability? Anyone?"
>
> JW> Links:
> JW>     0. http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/09/16/0034210&tid=95
> JW>     1. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=bind-users&m=106373300829218&w=2
> JW>     2. http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/delegation-only.html
> JW>     3.
> JW> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=bind-announce&m=106378709918671&w=2
> JW>     4.
> JW> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=bind-announce&m=106582817511646&w=2
> JW>     5. http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg15431.html
> JW>     6. http://www.nic.name/
> JW>     7. http://www.icann.org/correspondence/gnr-to-secsac-13oct03.pdf
> JW>     8. http://secsac.icann.org/
>
> JW> Regards,
>
> JW> --
> JW> Jeffrey A. Williams
> JW> Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 134k members/stakeholders strong!)
> JW> "Be precise in the use of words and expect precision from others" -
> JW>     Pierre Abelard
> JW> ===============================================================
> JW> CEO/DIR. Internet Network Eng. SR. Eng. Network data security
> JW> Information Network Eng. Group. INEG. INC.
> JW> E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> JW> Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801
>
> ----
> Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA     Internet Concepts, Inc.
> donbrown_l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx         http://www.inetconcepts.net
> PGP Key ID: 04C99A55              (972) 788-2364  Fax: (972) 788-5049
> Providing Internet Solutions Worldwide - An eDataWeb Affiliate

    Pierre Abelard