Re: [ga] VeriSign fends off critics at ICANN confab and ALAC's ligitimacy

At 05:13 12/10/03, Joop Teernstra wrote:
Work seriously on an alternative and better structure. Then lobby for that structure. Spend personal money. Volunteer time. Aim for surviving long enough that natural selection can do its work. Internet time runs too fast for dragons.

Sorry, Joop, this has no future.

Only to provide a relation pool for the only real possiblity. These are actions to curb an exsitsing structure (to better it) or to try an alternative as the alt-root TLDA (worse).

None will work (better or alternative) only secondaries can work. Please stop thinking binary. Think network when managing a network.

No one wants to fight ICANN. We only want it to behave itself. As one inter pares and to work in concertation. I know, ICANN just do that (American meaning). What I want is they do it French meaning (now Eurospeak: work and live in concert) because this is the only way a multilateral strcuture can work.

Concertation does not mean that power is better delegated (a better ICANN) or better shared in cooperation (an alternative democratic ICANN). It means each participant (country, large networked and serviced communities) retains its power and that subsidiarity applies (each one respects and helps accomplish the duties of others).

This means:

1. to create and give practical credibility through ISPs, specialized community TLD and SLD Managers and groups of users, to secondary root publisher(s).

2. to have security and innovation orientated mutual concertation among such publishers. In this ICANN can either be (or both) the secretary of the consensus and/or the US publisher (with NTIA).

3. to create a technical arhitectural think-tank where to modelize a comon vision of the network and of its future and negotiate or get consensus on its avolution - as per ICANN ICP-3, starting with an authoritative matrix root common management system. The current Internet reminds me my golden years, nice. But there is a 25 years experience now to take eventually into account. Nets unity cannot be built in imposing solutions from the past, only in a commonly shared vision of the NGN.

Our today problem is to decide if such publishers will be @large NGOs, Gov. sponsored/initiated or ITU. From experience and from trying to restore that common management in that three directions (with the hope they could ally - http://i-sector.org ) I feel situation is nearly out of control (WSIS) by total lack of understanding between the technical, societal/business and political parties.

The problem being that we are confronted to a major network and that only a few today already think and speak network.

jfc