Re: [ga] VeriSign fends off critics at ICANN confab and ALAC's ligitimacy

Leah and all former DNSO GA members or other interested parties,

L. Gallegos wrote:

> It it true that any one congresscritter is going to pretty much ignore letters coming
> from outside their consituencies.

  This is sometimes true and sometimes not true.  If for instance if
that congress
person or senator is a committee member in which your state is does not
have a congress person or senator on that committee, than they will take
that into account.  It is also sometimes true that if you, your efforts,
or
the efforts of your company or organization have been significant
contributors
to the relevant DNC or RNC coffers in which those congressional or
senate committees have leadership seated on that committee, than
your concerns if well stated and articulated, will garner even more
consideration that most others..

>  However, if a constituent's letter is accompanied
> with thousands of signatures from all over the world plus letters from a diverse field
> of users and they are all saying essentially the same thing, it will have an effect.

  Well yes MAYBE.  I would seriously suggest that any group or
organization
seeking to effectively participate and garner influence, have a good
strategy.
This is something ICANNATLARGE.ORG and the IDNO did not have,
amongst other things.

> Moreover, if mail pertinent to the interests of any committee (in this case
> "commerce") is accompanied by signatures and letters from thousands of people
> from all over the world, plus sigs and letters from consituents, you can bet that those
> committee members will take notice.

  Indeed this is the case.  But without $$ attached, the level or
significance of
"Notice" that will be taken, is limited.

> If the hue and cry is loud enough, and the media picks up on it, congresscritters will
> notice because it can effect votes.  If users appear to be angry, and users vote,
> those who need those votes will pander to them.

  Also true here as well.  And a very important point as the recent
recall
election in California showed clearly.  But often times after the votes
have been delivered, the pay back can sometimes not be forthcoming.

> Joop is also right on.  Legislative aids and secretaries do, in fact, categorize
> incoming mail and part of the sorting is based on constituents as opposed to others.

  This is true with many congress persons or senators.  But not all.

> In cases where the issue is going to have wide notice, it makes less difference from
> whom the letters come, but many will still have to be from that constituency.

  Again this also depends to avery great degree if your constituency is
represented
on the relevant committees.  If not, than this is not applicable.
Remember
$$ is the mothers milk of politics.  Without it in fairly significant
amounts,
the amount of attention or influence will be limited accordingly.

> Congress is taking notice of the importance of the internet on the global economy
> and the fact that the internet has made the world a much smaller place.  Therefore,
> they are noticing complaints from non US residents.

  As trade, especially now, ecommerce trade, is becoming a larger
proportion
of the US's economic health and prosperity the USG in many departments
as well as in congress, has become much more sensitive and important.

>  This makes it worth it to flood
> them with the truth.  We don't have to fabricate anything.  There is plenty of
> damaging material to present to government.

  ICANN's shortcomings are well known on the hill and on K street as
our members have contested to me on many occasions and do so
regularly, and as I have stated and shared on this and other forums
on a number, but perhaps too few occasions...

>  The real trick it have the same
> material seen in the global and local media.

  Indeed true!  This is very important to follow thru on.  The IDNO
did not do this very well at all.  Yet several of the DNSO/GNSO
constituencies
have done this pretty well.  ICANNATLARGE.ORG has not been able
to yet work out it's own internal issues and struggles to even start
seriously
on this.  The ALAC seems to have at least gotten started...

> Leah
>
> On 11 Oct 2003 at 19:41, Don Brown wrote:
>
> > Joop,
> >
> > I can't state it more simply, but I do not desire to offend you - You
> > just do not understand.
> >
> > The Internet was born out of a U.S. defense initiative. Don't hold
> > your breath for the Congress, Senate, Executive or Judicial branch of
> > the U.S. government to donate it to to the world. It's not going to
> > happen. That's the reality of it.
> >
> > Besides, why should they - what margin is in it for them?  Making
> > non-US citizens pleased is not on their agenda.
> >
> > With that said, you can be instrumental in making a positive change.
> > We all know that ICANN is dysfunctional and fully controlled by the
> > insider cliche.  We can all write to members of Congress and to
> > Senators to show our disdain.  The number of similar letters from U.S. and
> > non-U.S. citizens should get some attention.
> >
> > That is our shot -- to make things right.  I don't know of any better
> > way to slay the dragon, do you?
> >
> > Thanks,

    Pierre Abelard
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801