Re: [ga] request for details about ALAC members

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] request for details about ALAC members
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <ploki_xyz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:19:24 +0000
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kristy McKee wrote:

I reviewed the link you sent (below) and discovered that you did in fact lie about the ALAC members Internet experience. You are the only technical person on the committee; although Roberto has much expertise he has not, as far as I can tell, (he can let us know what is true) ever Administrated Internet systems.

For the record, my CVs have appeared publicly at various times.
Yes, Kristy is correct, I don't have direct experience as Internet systems administrator, although I had technical teams reporting to me. However, I don't see how this relates to ALAC: why on earth should ALAC reps be geeks? Technical people are already represented at different levels in ICANN, the problem, the way I see it, is that Mr. and Mrs. Jones, who only use the Internet without even having any idea on how to reconfigure a browser (and incidentally would never have any interest in how to do it in first place), or maybe just bought one domain name because it's becoming fashionable, have no whatsoever voice in the way the Internet is run, even if they do have interest at stake.

For the second, and probably most important point, which is funding, until June 1999 my Internet activities have been funded by ETSI, my previous employer. Since then (which includes my GA chairmanship) my participation is done in my free time, using occasional funding from organizations like Markle Foundation, topping up with money from my own pocket. At present, I get reimboursement for participation to ICANN meetings by ICANN, in my position of ALAC Liaison to the Board.

We can probably discuss forever about the representativity of the current ALAC members, on the fact that they have not been elected by popular vote of the millions of users of the Internet, but this does not make us pawns in the hands of phantom interests.

Best regards
Roberto

Use custom emotions -- try MSN Messenger 6.0! http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_emoticon