Re: [ga] ALAC statement on resolution of non-existing domain name s

  • To: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@xxxxxx>, Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ALAC statement on resolution of non-existing domain name s
  • From: "J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 22:11:17 +0200
  • Cc: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Don Evans <DEvans@xxxxxxx>, "Nancy J. Victory" <nvictory@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Robin Layton <RLayton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Clyde Ensslin <censslin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Staphane,
The key sentence in IAB is: "The DNS "wildcard" mechanism has been part of the DNS protocol since the original specifications were written twenty years ago,"

20 years seems to be rather a long time not to technically address a basic need and an obvious commercial possibility. I note that it only took a few hours for Bind and other DNS software developpers to move ahead and provide an innovative ... status quo protection. A documentation on how to innovatively progress in DNS services and security would also be desirable. Or an IAB network archtecture proposition when increasingly WSIS mid-terms interests move from Internet towards other data pipes.

The problem is not that NSI uses a wildcard in a commercial way, but that it cannot use it that way after 20 years and provide all the responses its DNS interlocutors expect. NSI is only collecting enough data to set up its development priorities for Atlas and to move ahead with DNS.2. Testing what it can do independently. Simply in a bolder way than we did for dot-root. I only hope that the resulting plan will be copied to IAB/IETF so the different softwares may syncronize. NIS has committed 500 Millions dollars (Plan B) on this. We voted it. They stick to their word.

In any case this a move by Verisign to show who is the Internet Master. This type of move is to be expected in the wake of http://whitehouse.gov/pcip/ . A comment from Mr Amit Yoran would be most welcome to confirm that all the data collected on terrorist spammers are passed to the DHS.

jfc

At 10:50 20/09/03, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 06:14:01PM -0700,
 Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 118 lines which said:

>   Agreed!  However Karl as you know these solid facts have been
> presented a number of times.  Why is it necessary to repeat those
> same technical facts and or other methods again?

Yes and if some people have trouble retrieving the previous documents,
here are two good recent synthesis:

http://www.iab.org/documents/docs/2003-09-20-dns-wildcards.html
http://www.centr.org/meetings/ga-19/ga19-kjd-wildcards.pdf