Re: [ga] ICANN's accredited registrars and trying to renew one name

I have yet to see a registrar contract with anything less then the
disclaimer you described.  There may be some competition in pricing
and value? added services offered, but there is no competition
otherwise.  The governing contract is the registry/registrar contract
and all the registrars just add to that their own additional
limitations of liability.  Since the only way one can register a
domain name in any given TLD is through a registrar accredited by
ICANN and approved by the registry, one has no choice, really.  In the
even that the registrar screws up, there is no recourse at any level
unless the courts were to find that these limits were unenforceable.

That's why I think the registry should have ultimate responsibility to
ensure the integrity of the registration if the registrar proves to be
incompetant or unwilling to correct its own errors.  In a case where a
registrant is not "allowed" to renew due to a technical issue or lack
of phone access, the registry should immediately correct the situation
and not create a loss for the registrant.  If they do not act, the
registry should be held liable.

Of course, it is up to the registrant to keep track of renewal dates,
so waiting until the day of or before expiry is really not much of an
excuse for claiming an emergency situation.  OTOH, there should have
been no problem in accessing the tools to renew.

Leah