Re: [ga] Re: ICANN before the US Senate...

  • To: Elisabeth Porteneuve <Elisabeth.Porteneuve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: ICANN before the US Senate...
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 18:10:22 -0700
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxx, Conrad Burns <Conrad_Burns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, John McCain <John_McCain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Elisabeth and all former DNSO GA members or other interested parties,

  Thank you Elisabeth for your candid comments and/or remarks
regarding the Senate hearing this time around regarding ICANN.

  It is a bit demeaning to hear that our US Senate are like
"Actors" in the discharge of their duties from a French
Citizen.  It would seem that mending fences between
our two countries is not in the forefront of  your mind
or thoughts.  I hope that the Senate committee members
will not take offense to your remarks.

Elisabeth Porteneuve wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Personal summary and comments on five testimonies, presented in the US
> Senate on 31 July 2003, cf.
> http://www.senate.gov/~commerce/hearings/witnesslist.cfm?id=889
>
> Caveat:
> As a non-US citizen, I feel watching Congress hearings like going to a
> theater - the actors play their role, I am sitting in the remote
> audience. I did appreciate Paul Twomey's conclusion said to the US
> Senator Burns:
> "I want to help establish that a public-private partnership of the kind that
> ICANN has become is in fact a feasible and appropriate way to deal with
> matters like the DNS, over which no single government can claim sovereignty,
> but which all governments and many private parties have important and
> legitimate interests in seeing function well."
>
> In making this summary my primary interest is about ccTLD, but I made
> also a search of following words - how many time those words are used
> in provided presentations:
>      1. stability and security
>      2. ccTLD, ccNSO, country-code
>      3. root
>      4. government
>      5. Congress
>      6. MoU
>      7. regulate or regulation
>      8. Verisign
>      9. IPv6
>     10. ITU, WSIS, UN, foreign

> words used in testimony     | Victory| Twomey| Balough| Davidson| Stahura|
> 1. stability or security    |     16 |     6 |      8 |       8 |      0 |
> 2. ccTLD ccNSO country-code |      9 |    11 |      8 |       4 |      0 |
> 3. root                     |      3 |     8 |      8 |       3 |      0 |
> 4. government               |      2 |     5 |      6 |      13 |      2 |
> 5. Congress                 |      2 |     0 |      0 |       8 |      4 |
> 6. MoU                      |      3 |     0 |      0 |       4 |      3 |
> 7. regulate or regulation   |      1 |     0 |      2 |       3 |      2 |
> 8. Verisign                 |      0 |     7 |     10 |       0 |     16 |
> 9. IPv6                     |      0 |     3 |      0 |       0 |      0 |
> 10. ITU WSIS UN foreign gov |      0 |     0 |      0 |       4 |      0 |
>
> Nancy Victory's primary focus is on stability and security, her interest on
> ccTLD is high (to perceive the change one shall go back to the White Paper
> from 1998 where ccTLD were mention twice, and of no interest to the
> global Internet governance). She acknowledges the global factor of Internet,
> and refers to the global Internet community. She refers to the undergoing
> work on extension of the MoU.
>
> Paul Twomey's primary interest is in ccTLDs, next are root servers, VeriSign
> and stability and security of Internet. He uses the word "government" in
> general manner, not US-government. It is worth to note he mentions IPv6
> three times, and is the only speaker insisting in this important issue.

> [...]

    Pierre Abelard
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801