[ga] Domains as property...

  • To: members@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, discuss-list <discuss-list@xxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Domains as property...
  • From: Sotiris Sotiropoulos <sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 20:18:23 -0400
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-5055771.html?tag=fd_top

"The original owner of the Sex.com domain name has won a potentially landmark court victory, allowing him to sue registrar Network Solutions for transferring his domain to a con man.

A Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals judge ruled that Gary Kremen, who first registered the Sex.com name in 1994, had a property right to the stolen domain and that Network Solutions <http://www.networksolutions.com> was potentially liable for giving it away without proper authorization.

"Exposing Network Solutions to liability when it gives away a registrant's domain name on the basis of a forged letter is no different from holding a corporation liable when it gives away someone's shares under the same circumstances," Judge Alex Kozinski wrote. "The common law does not stand idle while people give away the property of others."

----
It's about time.

Be Well,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos

--
Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.