Re: [ga] repost: Domain not available

  • To: Hugo Monteiro <hugo.monteiro@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] repost: Domain not available
  • From: Patrick Klos <patrick@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 08:29:55 -0500

On 1/16/2013 2:58 AM, Hugo Monteiro wrote:
This is a repost of a message i sent to compliance@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:compliance@xxxxxxxxx>, which apparently is the proper address to report these kind of activities. This repost, into this list, is happening since the original message was sent six days ago and i have not received any response, not even an automated aknowledgement.

--- snip ---

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have tried to register the domain mafalda.name <http://mafalda.name/> on October 31 of 2012. It was a domain name that was registered by someone else and that had let the registry expire. I have checked the domain availability by querying the whois database, which confirmed me that the domain name was not found on the database. I have tried to register the domain through two different registrars. They both accepted my registry submission but later have told me that the domain was not available after all. I have submitted this issue to the GA mailing list and received response from Mr Atif Beg telling me to further inquire the reasons of this behaviour and to submit this complain if i was to find that there was evidence of non compliance (~PDW-469171). My further inquiry was directly made to Network Solutions, which manages the .name space and i was told, back then, that the particular domain was being reserved for third level registrations only. That was not the case for the previous registration since the second level domain mafalda.name <http://mafalda.name/> was registered by someone else before. It's now the 10th of January, two and a half months have gone by, and still that domain is not listed on the whois database and i still cannot register it either. This behavior is unacceptable and Network Solutions is performing domain squatting in the hopes that there are many interested parties so that they can market the domain for third level registration only. Please take the appropriate actions so that the domain name mafalda.name <http://mafalda.name/> gets available for registration, like it already should be, by now.

Best Regards,

Hugo Monteiro.

--- snip ---

Again, i can't stress how unfortunate all these matters are.

Best regards,

Hugo Monteiro.

Unfortunately, ICANN seems more concerned with collecting money than with enforcing their contracts. They turn a blind eye to registrars that break the rules because it's easier than following up and making these registrars comply with their contracts. They claim that WHOIS records are supposed to be up to date and accurate, with WORKING contact email addresses, yet I'm sure they aren't happy when THEY try to send an email to a contact and get back an auto-response saying "I'm sorry, but you'll have to use our proprietary web page to contact this domain owner...".

Good luck!

Patrick