Re: [ga] .REL gTLD and the fear of 'crackpotisim'

  • To: "ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] .REL gTLD and the fear of 'crackpotisim'
  • From: Jeffrey Williams <jwkckid2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 13:08:13 -0700

Matt and all,

  Thank you again for your response although some agenda overtones are
obviously
present in same.

  The remainder of my rebut is interspersed below.

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Matthew Pemble <matthew@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Oh,
>
> On 29 April 2012 18:40, Jeffrey Williams <jwkckid2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>  The civilised world would generally consider a home address in the USA
>>> to be a very strong hint. Neither necessary nor sufficient but strongly
>>> correlated (and, even, causal.)
>>>

>>   Perhaps so.  As I do not know or have a consensus on such I really
>> don't know.
>> I would personally agree that not necessary is likely correct, but would
>> disagree
>> as to sufficient given the equality of free practice of ones
>> religion guaranteed in
>> our Constitution.
>>

> It is not sufficient for a religion to be considered crackpot for it to
> have a home address in the USA. Or, the corollary, not all religions with
> home addresses in the USA are "crackpot". What do you think that usage
> means?

 Agreed.  "crackpot" has different meanings to different people.  Our US
constitution and relevent
law/supreme court decisions prior to around the early 1940's made the
definition in theological
terms clear.  Not so clear in more recent courts, but still that is a
matter of interpretation.

>>> Because the Vatican is, after all, a country. A small and rather
>>> dependant one but it has its own Head of State, it appoints ambassadors, it
>>> even has its own army.
>>>

>>   Yes the Vatican is a 'city state' and thereby recognized
>> internationally as such justifying it's
>> own ccTLD.  Still the Vatican is Catholic centric and as such does not
>> broadly support all
>> religions or denominations of same.
>>

> Well, duh?

  Duh?

>>  What on God's green earth has this got to do with the UN?
>>>

>>   I would have thought and do think the correlation is obvious.
>>

> It's not a correlation - even in the non-conventional meaning. Even the
> ITU (the most connected arm of the UN) doesn't claim much responsibility in
> this regard.

  Yes the ITU has had it's problems and still does to be sure.

>   But I see from
>> your response I was sadly mistaken.  My apologies.   If the Vatican has
>> it's
>> own ccTLD because it is a 'city state' ergo as such deserves such
>> accordingly,
>> than it has a name space advantage accordingly as a result,
>>

> Goodness. A "name space advantage". How horrendous. We're back to
> "Williams 2012: the candidate for domain purity!", aren't we?

  Purity?  Hardly.  Rather equal opertunity and/or representation would be
far more accurate.

>> yet it is the home/seat
>> of the traditional Catholic religion/denomination of Christian religions.
>>  Such seems
>> to be an unfair or unbalanced situation in respect to the DNS TLD name
>> space.
>>

> But it isn't the the TLD name space because it is a religion, it is in the
> ccTLD name space because it is a country.

  Yes that is understood.  None the less due to that unique fact the
Vatican and Catholicism has
gained a significant advantage.  Unfair?  I believe so as do growing
numbers of other religions
or denominations of Christians.

>>  Ergo
>> if fairness, balance, and theological equality are to be somewhat
>> restored or otherwise
>> achieved, .REL as a new TLD would go some distance in this direction.
>>

> Hardly. You'd need .budhha, .orthodox, .islam (or .sunni, .shia, .ismali
> etc). Anglicans would have to move from anglican.org to .anglican.

  Not necessarly but yes this suggestion is another approach.  Angelicans
would of course have a
choice, but that choice doesn't exist now in as far as a TLD name space is
concerned which is the
subject of this thread.

>  As the UN
>> equality mandates require such
>>

> What UN equality mandates? Gender? "National or Ethnic, Religious and
> Linguistic Minorities"?
>
> M.
>
> --
> Matthew Pemble