[ga] Trend Micro Chairman Says Open Source Is a Security Risk

  • To: lauren@xxxxxxxx, OnGuardOnline@xxxxxxx, info@xxxxxxx, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Trend Micro Chairman Says Open Source Is a Security Risk
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 10:58:20 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

All,

  Glad to finally see yet another security software company
step-up here.  I've been saying this for years.  Still I am
a proponent of opensource, but only for limited uses as Steven
rightly and accurately points out.
See:
"Steve Chang, the Chairman of Trend Micro, has kicked up a controversy
by claiming that http://digitizor.com/2011/01/14/trend-micro-open-source/
open source software is inherently less secure than closed source.
When talking about the security of smartphones, Chang claimed that the
iPhone is more secure than Android because being an open-source platform
lets attackers
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-01-11/google-android-more-vulnerable-than-iphone-antivirus-maker-says.html
 know more about
the underlying architecture." This comes a week after Trend Micro
released a mobile security app for Android.

Kindest Regards,

   Abraham Lincoln

IT/network security Eng. SR. Eng. Network data security,
IT/information and web security.
ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 214-244-4827