[ga] Which Words Do You Think Need to Be Banished?

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, lehto.paul@xxxxxxxxx, icann-board@xxxxxxxxx, peter.dengatethrush@xxxxxxxxx, rod_beckstrom@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Which Words Do You Think Need to Be Banished?
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 13:22:48 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

All,

  I wonder how long it will be before "ICANN" as a term of
any sort will be bannished?  Censorship grows more and more
every day eh?
See:

http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/article/which_words_do_you_think_need_to_be_banished?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=default_email

Every new year since Jan. 1, 1976, Lake Superior State University in Sault Ste.
Marie, Mich., has released a list of words or expressions that it declares
should be "banished from the Queen's English for misuse, overuse and general
uselessness." LSSU invites readers to submit a word to banish and receives more
than 1,000 entries. This year, LSSU reports that they received the most
nominations for "viral."

"I didn't mind much when 'viral' came to mean an underhanded tactic by
advertising companies to make their ads look like pop culture. However, now
anything that becomes popular on YouTube is suddenly 'viral.' I just don't get
it," Kevin Wood of Wallacetown, Ontario, wrote in his "viral" nomination.

There are 13 other entries on the 2011 list, including the use of "Google" and
"Facebook" as verbs, "fail" and "refudiate."

This week, we'd like to ask you: What words or expressions do you think should
be banned? Submit them to LSSU , of course, but also share your thoughts in the
comments.

Kindest Regards,

   Abraham Lincoln

IT/network security Eng. SR. Eng. Network data security,
IT/information and web security.
ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 214-244-4827