[ga] Outrageous phishing attempt

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Outrageous phishing attempt
  • From: Hugo Monteiro <hugo.monteiro@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2010 22:38:30 +0000

Hello list,

Just to let know i have just received an outrageous phishing attempt in my inbox.

The text reads as follows:

--- snip ---

Your debit card XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX on file with us has expired.
For your protection, we have limited access to your account until additional
security measures can be completed. We apologize for any inconvenience this may
cause.
Please update your PayPal account now:
http://www.paypal-accountverify.net

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that
this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We
apologize for any inconvenience.

--- snip ---

The outrageous part is the fact that the link IS for a webpage with that SAME address!

more interestingly, a whois lookup will give the following information.

Registrars.
Registrant:
 LEE JOSSEL
 1811 carter ave
 akron, Ohio 44301
 US

 Domain name: PAYPAL-ACCOUNTVERIFY.NET

 Administrative Contact:
    JOSSEL, LEE  clicky.click@xxxxxxxxx
    1811 carter ave
    akron, Ohio 44301
    US
    +3307305055
 Technical Contact:
    JOSSEL, LEE  clicky.click@xxxxxxxxx
    1811 carter ave
    akron, Ohio 44301
    US
    +3307305055

Is this just a lame phisher, or has the level of impunity reached peaks never to imagine before?

Regards,

Hugo Monteiro.

--
fct.unl.pt:~# cat .signature

Hugo Monteiro
Email    : hugo.monteiro@xxxxxxxxxx
Telefone : +351 212948300 Ext.15307
Web      : http://hmonteiro.net

Divisão de Informática
Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia da
                   Universidade Nova de Lisboa
Quinta da Torre   2829-516 Caparica   Portugal
Telefone: +351 212948596   Fax: +351 212948548
www.fct.unl.pt                apoio@xxxxxxxxxx

fct.unl.pt:~# _