[ga] US ISP Adopts Three-Strikes Policy

  • To: rms@xxxxxxx, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] US ISP Adopts Three-Strikes Policy
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 13:20:02 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

All,

  My guess is that this will not go over very well with users
given the lack of due process.  Still IP holders are likely to be
in love with this decision.  My guess also is that some of the
ICANN constituencies will find this announcment a bit constraining,
and I wonder how long it will be before DMCA will be enforced with
different provisions, upon the Registrar/Registry providers as well?
Does this signal the death nill of file sharing as we know it?
See:
"http://www.suddenlink.com/
Suddenlink, a United States ISP that serves nineteen
states,
http://torrentfreak.com/us-isp-disconnects-alleged-pirates-for-6-months-100924/
has implemented a three-strikes policy. Subscribers who
receive three DMCA takedown notices are disconnected without compensation
for a period of six months. According to TorrentFreak, the takedown
notices do not have to be substantiated in court, which effectively means
that subscribers can be disconnected based on mere accusations. In
justifying the policy, Suddenlink turns to an obscure provision of their
Terms of Service, but also claims that they are required by the DMCA to
disconnect repeat offenders."

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 300k members/stakeholders and growing,
strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

Information Network Eng.  INEG. INC.
ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402 E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx