Re: [ga] Judge Permanently Stops Operation of Phony Domain Name Registrar

  • To: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Judge Permanently Stops Operation of Phony Domain Name Registrar
  • From: "Gregg L. DesElms" <gregg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 19:05:51 -0700

Jefferey A. Williams wrote:

   "Reads allot [sic] like a GoDaddy, [W]ild [W]est
   Domains[,] or eNom operation to me..."

TO WHICH GREGG DesELMS NOW REPLIES: You know, I get thse [ga] list postings every day, and most days I just roll my eyes at the ceiling, and shake my head with a little grin, at some of the silliness in them. Don't get me wrong: Some SERIOUSLY interesting debates over truly substantive issues have been had here, and I DO enjoy those (but rarely post anything or participate, other than being a loyal reader).

But when I read a posting like Mr. Williams's, here, I just can't contain myself. So, to it, I now respond:

   First of all, Mr. Williams, it's "a lot."  Two words, one "l".
   The word "allot" is a verb which means "to give out,
   distribute; ration; set aside for a special purpose," as
   in "I will allot this amount from my winnings to my son's
   college fund."  Its past tense and past participle is "al-
   lotted," and its present participle is "allotting."  Beyond
   that, as for what I put in [brackets] in my quoting of Mr.
   Williams's words, above:  Res ipsa loquitur.

   Second of all, though I'll believe almost anything about
   GoDaddy's bad business practices (I remember when
   its founder was hawking church software in the '80s,
   and his business practices were questionable then,
   too); I'm incredulous about your including eNom in
   your derision.  I'm as unhappy as anyone else about
   the changes at eNom since 2006 (and even ramping
   up to 2006).  But precisely when has eNom ever done
   anything even remotely similar to what this Canadian
   scamming operation has done?  Hmm?  When?

   Would it be too much to ask that as you bring us your
   genuinely interesting news tidbits, you could bother to
   do it in a way that's truthful and has a little bit of honor
   about it?  I mean... you know... just a little?

   It's no wonder, then, I guess, that the inspirational quo-
   tations in Mr. Williams's signature don't include any-
   thing about integrity.  Surprise, surprise.

   Gregg L. DesElms
   895 Jackson St., #319
   Napa  CA  94559-1321

   1-877-383-5148 (toll-free voice)