[ga] Bridging the Gap: Why privacy and security are so important XVIII - UK NHS Tops ICO's List of Breach Reports

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, board-review-tor@xxxxxxxxx, rod_beckstrom@xxxxxxxxx, SenateWebmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Bridging the Gap: Why privacy and security are so important XVIII - UK NHS Tops ICO's List of Breach Reports
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 17:51:58 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

All,

  We can see here again ( see below ) why privacy and
security are so important.  What isn't well known is that
this very same organization was being considered by the
US HHS as a contractor for similar services it has errantly
rendered in the UK for so many of their citizens.

  I hope our good fellow/former GA member Debbie, can express
for us all that this sort of incompatant behavior is NOT
exceptable by most of my fellow Rational Americans and to
be sure to get rid of their incompatent personell ASAP please!

  I also hope that my congressman and Senator will kindly
but firmly inform Sec. Sebelius to not consider this organization
now or anytime in the future to manage any of our fellow Americans
medical data.

See:June 1, 2010)
According to statistics from the Information Commissioner's Office
(ICO), the US National Health Service has reported 305 data security
breaches since November 2007.  During the same period, the private
sector reported 288 breaches, local government reported 132 breaches,
and central government reported 81 breaches.  The most frequent cause
of NHS breaches was hardware theft, which accounted for 116 incidents,
followed by hardware loss, which accounted for 87 incidents.  There were
also 43 instances in which NHS information was disclosed improperly, 17
instances in which data were lost in transit, and 13 instances of
improper technology disposal.  In all, more than 1,000 data breaches
have been reported to the ICO.  In April the ICO was granted the
authority to impose fines of up to GBP 500,000 (US $730,000) for serious
data breaches.
http://www.kable.co.uk/nhs-data-losses-information-commissioners-office-01jun10
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/compliance/2010/06/01/nhs-top-culprit-as-uk-data-breaches-exceed-1000-40089098/
http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/pressreleases/2010/1000_data_breaches280510.pdf
http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/library/corporate/research_and_reports/breach_notification_spreadsheet_may2010.pdf

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 300+k members/stakeholders and growing,
strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

Information Network Eng.  INEG. INC.
ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402 E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx