Re: [ga] Registrant Membership

  • To: sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, rod_beckstrom@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Registrant Membership
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 17:30:55 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Eric, Sotiris and all,

  Unless I miss my guess, what Sotiris is discribing in his
idea of what an independant registrants constituency should be
is that if your not a Domain Name holder, than membership in
such a 'Club'/proposed constituency is not allowed AND that
any potential member MUST have a Digital Cert as a pre-requisite
for membership for identity purposes as he seems? to not be
trusting of WHOIS information for any existing Domain Name
thereunto listed.  Secondly I have the impression that Sotiris
is indirectly referring to non-registrants interested in ICANN
representation of some sort that are not for whatever reason
adaquately able to be represented or under-represented currently
can set up a whole new non-registrant consitituency proposal
accordingly.  However the RALO's and/or the ALAC is supposedly
in existance for this non-registrant purpose.

  This now hopefully more completely and clearly articulated
'Yet Again' for the umpteenth time in the GA's history clearly
IMO demonstrates the lack of inclusiviness or segmenting of
interest groups that may or may not be adaquately transparent
and open, but does show some interest in a bottom up attempt
and/or approach.  A mixed bag FWIW IMO.

  What Eric espouses/seemingly proposes is that the GA in it's
current form/configuration, although now and sense the GNSO was
formed from the ashes of the DNSO largely emasculated intentionally
largely due to interest group(s) contention, is still a better
place for all interested stakeholders to discuss, debate, propose,
or otherwise air out concerns of various types and that the GA
should have full status within the GNSO including a GNSO council
member and at least one ICANN board member, as well as open to
any and all interested stakeholders unincumbered.  I fully agree
with this, if indeed it is what Eric is contending/suggesting
accordingly.  Yet I also do not in any way see any reason why
a seperate but equal Independant Registrant Constituency within
the GNSO/ICANN structure cannot also become a reality, but believe
that non-registrants should be able to participate on an
equal footing is they so desire, which would be the only difference
with what Sotiris is 'Yet Again' seemingly proposing/suggesting.

  Therefore Eric, I suggest as the Chair of the GA still, perhaps
you should either take Joops outline for a proposal and adjust it
accordingly to demonstrate in a more formal proposal 'Exactly'
what you have in mind vis a vis the GA and than post it here
on the GA list for participants review, potential amendment,
and otherwise consideration as a draft accordingly, or start
from scratch and construct a entirely new similar proposal.
Otherwise, cut bait.

  Let's also all try to remember that many, if not most of
the GA participants could and/or do fit into multipul now
existing ICANN/GNSO Constituencies, and would likely fit
into what Sotiris is seemingly proposing/suggesting, but
may find his suggested restrictions as the use of Digital
Certs, and too high a bar or otherwise too unecessarly
restrictive given the much publisized problems with Digital
Cert current technology as well as the overhanging of a
specific legal discrimination factor and given that many countries
do not allow for the use of Digital Certs at all, have no
cert authority extant in those countries, or have very difficult
to obtain licensing requirements to use such a Digital Cert
or be issued one accordingly.  We also should understand that
Class one Certs certify nothing including authentication, despite
the marketing jargon espousing otherwise.

  Further it is very difficult for me at least to give Sotiris's
proposal much consideration when hermesnetwork.com's DNS does not
specify a SPF record and has no Abuse email address avaliable.
See
again:http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnsreport?domain=hermesnetwork.com&format=raw&loadresults=true&token=26d19732d848555039d5bd03198f801c
and the WHOIS listing for hermesnetwork.com appears to be by proxy,
see:http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois?ip=hermesnetwork.com&server=&j=1&email=on
and is hosted by DREAMHOST.COM which doesn't appear to be a very
responsible hosting provider either given that it allows for the
propagation of SPAM as well, See:
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnsreport?domain=DREAMHOST.COM&format=raw&loadresults=true&token=26a1c045aed550a5378565001c34e01a