[ga] Registrants Identification for Membership

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Andrew McMeikan <andrewm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Registrants Identification for Membership
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 06:18:12 -0700 (PDT)

Great stuff here. But be clear. This Identification process is for the
Constituency.  A membership criteria. Do not stick it to people contributing to
the foundation.  First get a group going. I suggest doing it here, which does
not have such a restricted gateway.

Mr. Palmer is already showing the problem with engaging in it right up front.
Leave the flaming and individual specific preclusions and troll baiting for
once a system is set. I think we can all see the obvious pitfalls of starting
out by the very negative notion of precluding rather than including.

I think registrants are going to have to suck it up on this one for a while
because they are going to have to go by the WHOIS data to begin. We all know
the problems of spoofing there but if that is a barrier to beginning you will
never get it done. In order to ID you are going to have to accept the
longstanding, longsuffering data proof for obtaining a registration. For if you
say you can register a name but cannot be a member of the registrants community
it is a non-starter.  You simply cannot fix a moving train without being on
board.