[ga] Sidetracked Censor

  • To: Accountability Headquarters <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Sidetracked Censor
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 08:31:56 -0700 (PDT)

Censoring of a list is not in and of itself bad. The two major downsides are:
Liability and Prior Restraint.
When we begin process of censoring we decide what and when may be posted. When
we undertake that duty/responsibility we become publishers/editors. We become
liable for the words used. So if we publish when Billy calls Suzie a whore we
are in the chain of distributing that defamation and are responsible therefore.

The grave danger to openness and transparency in censoring comes when Sotiris
really wants to say something but is afraid because it may get him censored.
Or if George sees Sotiris get censored for saying something then he becomes
afraid to speak on the issue and remains silent and society does not get to
here what he has to say.

But what ICANN does on this list is not only censoring of words. What ICANN
does is not acceptable within modern day notions of civil and human rights. It
bans and shuns people. And it does so in secret without debate or open or
transparent diliberations. This is the lowest of all forms of discrimination of
freedom of thought and speech. It is like being forced to ride at the back of
the bus or refusing service on race or denying voting on gender.

Soon to be Justice Kegan, forbid military from recruiting at her school.  She
did this because of a ban the military has on certain sexual preferences. No
logical person can argue against her point.  ICANN has a contract with the US
government yet it is allowed to ban people based upon speech and political
views.  This is a violation of all that is right.  It is an afront to the UN
and US standards of human rights. It is insane that it continues.