Re: [ga] RE: GA irrelevant

  • To: sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] RE: GA irrelevant
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 15:02:46 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

sotiris and all,

  I largely share Sotiris'es observation and sympathize with
his frustration to a great degree.

  On the other hand it is not for Roberto or any other ICANN
official to 'Tell' members of the GA how to organize in a
manner that is acceptable to ICANN, nor should he, or they.
I am sure that Roberto has what he believes/thinks would be
acceptable or might be.  But in order to maintian objectivity
given his possition within ICANN he 'May' feel that to specifically
outline what Sotiris is asking for below, is a potential conflict
of interest accordingly.

  The IDNO effort of some time ago now failed bacause it was
exposed as being corrupt.  Bootstrapping a 'Organized GA' requires
at least some up-front funding and some reasonable level of
self supporting process/mechnisism.  Today the GA does not have that
nor is it likely that ICANN will provide either funding or a new
process/mechnisim that extends the GA.  Frankly the GA IMO is just
fine the way it is for what it actually is despite those that fling
insults at the GA list members as a whole.  General Assemblies in
many other government and non-government fora are often contentious,
and sometimes that is a healthy thing.  This GA is no different.
The GA here is simply an open and supposedly transparent mailing
list comprised of interested stakeholders and/or registrants. IMHO
again ICANN would be disadvantaging itself if it wanted or is seeking
to overly structure the GA where freedom of expression was either
suppresed or done away with all together.  This would at times also
include unfortunately personal insults not intended or otherwise.

  FWIW, what in short we really have here is a long standing
perception problem by certain ICANN officials, ect., on a personal
basis, as well as same by some of others participating on the GA.
The latter is to be expected, the former is at least understandable,
but may be perceived by some of the GA participants and ICANN officials
as not wholly acceptable. I at times, but not always, share that consideration
accordingly.  Couple this with different ideas or considerations
as to what is or is not acceptable discourse or use of language
in GA posts, and you have a very complicated situation.  Not everyone
feels the same, but I side largely but not entirely with open
free, and unfettered discourse even when it is sometimes not very
pleasant as such reflects the REAL world, not a desired utopia.