[ga] ICANN is not the only option - take back the root or nationalize it- some ideas to end the ICANN misery

  • To: "ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx >> GA" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] ICANN is not the only option - take back the root or nationalize it- some ideas to end the ICANN misery
  • From: Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 22:07:07 -0400

The one thing that makes me laugh is when I talk to ICANN insiders and
complain about all the ICANN bureaucratic fuddle duddle and remind them I
proved a replacement was possible .. and you keep it honest I won't apply
the brakes. There response is that ICANN is all we have. I agree it works -
i.e. ICANN - but at an incredible cost to technology development and
innovation. ICANN is the most expensive bureaucratic maze.

And at what risk to society. Bejing was a clear indication no is responsible
at ICANN and no one is accountable.  This is not the responsible act for an
organization dedicated to protecting our security online. The silence from
ICANN on the Beijing incident - which continues to this day - is a clear
indication of gross incompetence.

I know technically no one is in charge of the Internet. People think they
have control - but truth be known control is more an act of faith then
reality.

I warned years ago the Internet was crap and dangerous. I warned governments
not to put there dependence on it. No one was paying attention then. Now
look at the mess were in. Who's next to be hijacked by China ... or the
snotty nosed tenth grader down the street? Even Herman Xennt knows how to
hijack the root .. he's done it himself. He learned from the best.

And DNSSEC adds a whole new attack vector to the root hijack too. The
Bernstein DNSSEC suicide factor. I guess it could be sold as a feature and
not a bug.

Get ready to run your own roots folks - 中国政府不喜欢DNSSEC - security starts at
the root. And if your a government official think of nationalizing the root
system. You have the power through legislation.

regards
joe baptista