Re: [ga] the future .. DNS National Security and the ICANN clowns

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] the future .. DNS National Security and the ICANN clowns
  • From: Matthew Pemble <matthew@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 10:16:45 +0100

Folks,

On 12 April 2010 22:40, Jeffrey A. Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> However so far
> the first attempt at DNSSEC along with weak Crypto standard SHA-2 ( 256 bit
> ) has proven as I an other predicted to be far too weak as even ( 1024 bit )
> was
> broken
>
> recently at the University of Michigan by some very sharp students and
> announced
> about two months ago accordingly.

I am not aware of any breach of the SHA-2 256-bit hash functions.
Unless Jeff is thinking of something else, the Michigan result was the
enumeration of a 1024-bit RSA private key by voltage modulation of the
processing device.  This is, of course, really a physical security  -
and a business process - breach rather than break of the underlying
protocol.  Most security protocols can be subverted with access to the
physical device - I remember a conference keynote where the speaker
had us singing the private key from a smart-card ...

http://www.ns.umich.edu/htdocs/releases/story.php?id=7551

If this isn't it: there are no other 2010 security stories on the UM
pr archive - http://www.ns.umich.edu/htdocs/releases/index.php and
Google doesn't seem to be helping me, a link would be welcome.

Matthew

--
Matthew Pemble
Technical Director, Idrach Ltd