RE: [ga] Maintenance and Management of the GA

  • To: debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "'ga'" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Maintenance and Management of the GA
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 15:58:05 -0700 (PDT)

Debbie,

perhaps this might help:

 GNSO Improvements – Stakeholder Group Charters and Draft Bylaws Amendments

Whereas, the Board determined at its May 2009 meeting that the proposed
charters for four new GNSO Stakeholder Groups require revisions to ensure
equitable participation and representation by new constituencies.

Whereas, the Structural Improvements Committee (SIC) has made revisions to the
various charter documents and shared them with proponents of each Stakeholder
Group.

Resolved (2009.06.26.11), the Board directs the SIC to continue working with
the community and Stakeholder Group proponents to (a) ensure that the proposed
Stakeholder Group Charters are appropriately revised to meet the Board's vision
for the GNSO improvements and restructuring initiative, and (b) ensure that the
Board will have four Stakeholder Group Charters ready for Board action at its
July 2009 meeting.

Resolved (2009.06.26.12), that in recognition of the additional time required
to engage with the community on new Stakeholder Group Charters, the Board
hereby postpones the seating of the new GNSO Council until the ICANN meeting in
Seoul, South Korea in October 2009.

Resolved (2009.06.26.13), in order to ensure that this new goal can be
achieved, ICANN Staff is directed to post for public comment draft Bylaws
amendments regarding restructuring that have been developed by the GNSO
community so that the Board can take action on them at its July meeting.

3. GNSO Improvements – Proposed GNSO Constituency Applications

Whereas, the Board has received petitions for the formation of four new GNSO
Constituencies, and these submissions are the first formal requests for new
constituencies in nearly a decade.

Whereas, public comment forums for three of these proposals for new GNSO
constituencies have concluded and a fourth forum is ongoing.

Whereas, the Board would like to expeditiously decide on the pending petitions.

Whereas, the Board is pleased with the response of the community in organizing
these four prospective new Constituencies and in completing the various
notifications, petitions, and charter documents designed to formally seek Board
recognition and approval.

Resolved (2009.06.26.14), the Board directs the Structural Improvements
Committee and the ICANN Staff to continue with due diligence efforts, working
with the Constituency proponents to (a) clarify certain organizational,
membership and process issues raised by the community, (b) evaluate whether the
proposals meet the Bylaws criteria for new GNSO Constituencies, and (c) make
recommendations to the Board with on appropriate actions regarding the proposed
Constituencies as soon as practicable.

Also, this URL has some info --
http://gnso.icann.org/en/improvements/newco-process-en.htm

best regards,