Re: [ga] "Hello World" from ICANN

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Elisabeth Porteneuve <elisabeth.porteneuve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] "Hello World" from ICANN
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 22:38:56 -0700 (PDT)

Elisabeth,

I think that the real change must come from the marginal participants.  We will
soon see what the real antagonists will do.  Will the international naysayers
from IGF and this ethereal CS step up and participate. Or will they continue to
hide behind "lack of accountability" and not being duly crowned with authority.
Will they stop whining and start contributing.

And will the folks who like to talk about "noise to signal" ratios begin to
create some signals of their own. Or will they continue to complain about ICANN
inaction on the one hand and the filth of those who tirelessly do in fact hold
ICANN publicly accountable.

How they now handle the GA will very quickly be a tell tale sign of intentions.
No not just ICANN but how the international communities relate with and work
with those who lack club endorsements.  Those without pedigree or University or
global society status will either be continued to be shunned or they will be
embraced.  We shall soon see if this is to continue to be an elitist
foundational money caste system or in fact an effort for individual human
rights to information and access to knowledge. Obama's people have deftly put
the shoe and the onus where it belongs.  Not in US govt but on a stodgy
international good old boy network. Will they rise to the challenge?

--- On Wed, 9/30/09, Elisabeth Porteneuve <elisabeth.porteneuve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>